Monday, October 6, 2008

Perfection

Perfection is usually a relative term. I heard someone once define it as "doing the best you can with what you have." If that is a valid definition, then certainly we all have our moments of perfection. I like to connect perfection with progression, learning & growing, creating.

Recently, at a women's conference Dieter F. Uctdorf said,

"Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter.
"What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside.
"If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it."

So, though I am lacking many skills there is hope in knowing that I can create something entirely new. For me, the focus right now in my life is new ways of thinking and perceiving situations and conversations. Though I may have had a rough start in this life, it is where I am headed that matters most.

Here's a startling confession (add sarcasm), I'm not perfect. I do the best I can, and sometimes what I know now will not suffice for the long haul. Quite simply, creation and perfecting one's self, comes one day at a time and is most visible years down the road.

So, yes I would like to do things differently and be entirely changed now, but that is too overwhelming and impossible. So the questions remain: #1 What can I do today to do a little better? and #2 What does my Heavenly Father think of me today? That is where perfection and creation begin--in the love of the Lord, our hearts, our desires, and our actions.

4 comments:

  1. Emily--

    Why didn't you ever tell me you had a blog? You're so secretive . . . sometimes I wish I was more secretive. It keeps those imperfections safe, you know?

    I look forward to poking around your blog and reading what you have so far!

    Any luck on finishing my novel? Or is it just not for you?

    Also, to comment on your post: I think that if we were perfect now, the entire purpose of our being here would be defeated. You already know that, I know, so don't wish for perfection! Our imperfected human state is a beautiful thing, and I love you for who you are! Keep it up! But keep growing, too. I'm certainly trying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. I really liked what Dieter F. Uctdorf said too. it is so true and I have to remind myself of those things daily. It is good to strive for perfection even if it is a little at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. thanks for the call today. it was nice talking to you even though my kids kept interupting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection is one word that may define the end of something: experience, journey, some sort of accomplishment, or just an individual. I came up with a theory about pets long ago. . .

    When someone (any species) becomes perfect then its journey, trial, life, or any other way you might describe it, has come to an end. That has been completely true of many cats I have had in my life, espeically General. He was beyond perfect, and only after he left this world did I understand why he remained on this earth for so long after he reached perfection.

    Perfection is what we want it to be, or can only be defined by the person using it to descibe something. I can say to myself, and others that Franklin is perfect, but I also know that he is not absolutely perfect in the mere meaning of the word. However, I am his mother and though I try to never be biased I know that I always will be where he is concerned, so to me he is perfect (of course till he does something that isn't perfect, he he)

    So to sum up my thoughts, one should never dwell on perfection, because the more an individual thinks of it, the more complex it's definition will be, and therefore nigh unachievable. So just always strive for the best you can do, give for the moment, because that is always within reach.

    ReplyDelete

Autism Awareness