Friday, May 29, 2009

Shifting Gears

So, as seen from the previous post, a lot has been going on in my life. A lot of things have changed and I am shifting gears. Currently, I am still a wife and mother (duh, right?). And then there is my two new jobs in addition to volunteer mentoring. Oh yeah, and there’s still…spending time with my family, going on dates with my wonderful husband, chores, visiting teaching, compassionate service leader, spending some time with friends, and somewhere in there there’s time for myself—I think. This probably sounds quite familiar to many of you. Thankfully I’m not the one back in school yet.

Somehow, in all this organized chaos is a new horizon, or perhaps an old one that I haven’t seen in a long time. For whatever reason, this is just the way my life has worked out. I never planned on being married already or having kids by now. But really, I couldn't have planned it any better myself. God works in mysterious ways…

Job # 1: Platinum Protection
Location: Provo
Job title: Data Entry & Customer Service
Description: Answer inbound calls from Sales & Service Representatives as well as Customers for an alarm monitoring company. Translates to=Sit on my petard all day answering phones and being happy.

Job # 2: Tuesday Morning
Location: Orem
Job Title: Part-time Store Associate
Description: Set up store displays, rotate and stock merchandise, and assist customers with purchases and questions. Translates to=Work my but off all day moving stuff and helping the occasional customer.

Unofficial Job # 3: Heritage School
Location: Provo
Job Title: Volunteer Mentor
Description: Model positive and appropriate behavior, establish a relationship of trust, while maintaining a mentor role. Translates to=What I would love to be doing for a living & will one day be doing in the distant future. My passion.

Summation:
I’m busier than I’ve ever been before and plenty happy doing what I like and love for my God, family, and self. Not a bad deal if you ask me (even if I never planned on working while my kids were young).

2 comments:

  1. THREE JOBS!? Wow, Emily, I'm very impressed. If I had a car and Adam had a schedule that allowed, I would try and work, but neither are happenin'. I think it would be nice to feel so productive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    While I don't know you at all and am on the other side of the United States, I totally understand your passion. I have the great blessing of running a tutor and mentor program for "at-promise". 10 yrs ago I was approached by the prinicipal of my sons school. They received a grant through Americorps to start a volunteer tutoring program. He approached me to see if I would be interested in being the coordinator for the program. Wow - could have knocked me over with a feather. My husband (my best friend) and I prayed and felt this is what God called me to do. Tens years later I am now running a Mentor and tutoring program for a Federal program. I am doing what I am passionate about and have the blessing of getting paid for it. My life has changed in ways that I would have never imagined. So shifting gears can lead you places that you nevered dreamed but God knows and he knows the path he is leading you down. Check out what happened as a result of seeking God 10 yrs ago. www.starswatcher.wordpress.com

    Gloria
    www.starswatcher.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Autism Awareness